- Organize and string together raw footage into a continuous whole according to scripts or the instructions of directors and producers.
- Trim film segments to specified lengths, and reassemble segments in sequences that present stories with maximum effect.
- Determine the specific audio and visual effects and music necessary to complete films.
- Use cameras in any of several different camera mounts such as stationary, track-mounted, or crane-mounted.
- Observe sets or locations for potential problems and to determine filming and lighting requirements.